Learn how to make traditional American Block patchwork by hand. You will learn techniques to help you accurately piece a 12” Weathervane block that can be used to make a bag or cushion, or to start a quilt.
You will need to bring the following:
- Fabric. You will need 3 different cotton fabrics (100% cotton, patchwork weight – no poly please). Look for a light background plus 2 contrasting colours. The pattern should be small to medium in size. Bring if you have it – a 1/4 meter of each. If buying, get Fat Quarters (Fabric HQ and Needlecraft have a good range of quality material).
- Cotton thread to tone in. A neutral tone is really best in a 40 or 50 weight.
- Needles, preferably sharps, size 8, 9 or 10
- Pencil to draw on fabric
- Pins, preferably fine dressmaking, NOT large headed
- Scissors – fabric and paper
If you have any of the following, please also bring them:
- A4 fine sandpaper
- Quilters rulers
- Chalk marking pencil
- Template plastic