How you can Help
We believe everyone has something to give. Volunteering is a wonderful opportunity to work together and learn new skills, enhance your CV or just do something fun and practical. Giving your time can opens a whole new world to you, while benefiting someone else via the projects we support.
In our Chesham workshop teams of volunteers sort, refurbish and pack tools and equipment ready for transportation. In our office, volunteers process the project requests, manage paperwork, prepare and send tweets and social media communications and all the duties associated with running the charity. The Workaid Shop is an essential part of the organisation where volunteers sell items we cannot send to Africa to raise funds.
Whether you are retired, at school or college (minimum age: 16), taking part in the Duke of Edinburgh Awards, a corporate body or have a special need, we would really value your skills. No specialist knowledge is required and there is something for everyone, not to mention stopping for tea and coffee breaks!
- Cleaning and repairing hand tools
- Servicing large machinery e.g. lathes, bandsaws, pillar drills etc.
- Processing and organising incoming tools donations
- Servicing sewing machines
- Servicing knitting machines
- Picking tools and equipment for packing
- Packing tools and equipment for freight
- Electrical – servicing and testing general hand tools and other general electrical items
- Garden Electrical – servicing garden electrical equipment e.g. lawnmowers, strimmers, blowers etc.
Servicing petrol equipment e.g. lawnmowers, strimmers, rotavators, generators etc.
- Retail sales (The Workaid Shop) – helping out in the shop, assisting customers and stock as necessary
- eCommerce – listing, packing and despatch (eBay)
Sorting and packaging fabric, haberdashery, crafts and wool for Africa or sale in the shop
Sorting our recycling and despatch to correct locations
Helping out in the office with administration, phones and project paperwork
We offer organisations the opportunity for their employees to become involved in any of our workshop activities on company days. We can host up to a team of 15 across all our sections. Please get in touch if you or your company are interested.
We are always looking for new trustees so if you have a passion for international development we'd like to hear from you, please get in touch.